This is the personal blog of Michelle Cali, creator of Wine Coutures and John8eight. Here she plans to get overly personal with you by giving details of her creative process along with rants and raves about her two favorite subjects- alcohol and weddings. She will write often, (not sure if that's a promise or a threat), so please visit as much as you can tolerate. Enjoy!

Thursday, February 25, 2010

What Am I?


Okay, I've been told by artist that what I do is not art but a craft. I've been told by crafters that what I do is not a craft but an art. So what the hell am I? A crafter or an artist? I don't do cookie-cutter designs. I take my work seriously. My soul purpose is to create beauty through the medium of what is considered trash. My muse is wine. So what does that make me?
In a perfect would their would be no label for what I or any creative person does. But we do not live in a perfect world and frankly, I wouldn't mind having a label if it truly described me and my work. So, what am I?


I found the quote below as i was researching the difference between artist and crafter:


"Our art is the work of a small minority composed of educated persons, fully conscious of their aim of producing beauty, and distinguished from the great body of workmen by that aim."


- William Morris, father of England's Arts & Crafts Movement


I feel myself more aligned with this thought then any other. But does my work fit into the Art & Craft Movement? Does my work fit into any movement at all? This is a question I will continue to try to answer through my work.


My customers and admirers call my work 'beautiful'. If Beauty is a movement, would I then have a place for my work to call home? Maybe. We will see. . .

0 comments:

Post a Comment